The Alchemy Stone
What is the Alchemy Stone?
The Alchemy Stone turns a Raspbery Pi into a retro gaming device. The Alchemy Stone is a kit containing two circuit boards that fit inside a Gameboy Pocket along with a Raspberry Pi. The main circuit board, or Alchemy Stone, contains everything that connects to a Raspberry Pi to turn it into a retro gaming system and the second board, or Element, is what the Raspberry Pi attaches to. The two boards then clip together to create one gaming device.
What Games can it play?
The Alchemy stone can play any game supported by Retropie, lakka or any other emulation software designed to run on a Raspberry Pi. See the list of systems below for a comprehensive list.
|System||Raspberry Pi Zero W||Raspberry Pi CM3+ Lite|
|Famicom Disk System||✓||B6|
|Final Burn Alpha||✓||B6|
|Game Boy Advance||✓||✓|
|Game & Watch||✓||✓|
|Game Boy Color||✓||✓|
|MSX 1, MSX 2, MSX 2+||B5||B6|
|Neo Geo CD||✓||✓|
|Neo Geo Pocket B&W||✓||✓|
|Neo Geo Pocket Color||✓||✓|
|PC Engine CD||✓||✓|
|Sega 32 X||✓||✓|
|Sega SG 1000||✓||✓|
FeaturesHere are the features of the Alchemy Stone Circuit Board:
- HD 640x480 60Hz LCD.
- USB Controls for low latency response
- USB Audio for crisp sounds
- Up to 2A charging for quicker charging. Charges 2000mah battery in 1 hour.
- Space for a 2000mah battery with potential for higher power batteries. 2000 gives 8 hours play time in one charge.
- Safe shutdown circuit which gracefully shuts down the Pi before cutting power. This can stop corruption of the SD card.
- Emergency hard power cut in case the Raspberry Pi freezes.
- Raspberry Pi Zero or CM3 added via seperate click on board. If you make a soldering error you won’t damage the expensive board, just the cheaper one which can be purchased for cost.
- Minimal soldering required for Pi Zero (Just the Pi itself). 100% no soldering required for the CM3 (exception is the joystick if wanted, this requires you solder it on).
- DPAD, A, B, X and Y buttons on the front, along with L1, R1, L2 and R2 on the back.
What does the Kit contain?
- 1 x Alchemy Stone board
- 1 x Silver Element Board (For a Pi Zero W)
- 2 x Button guide
- 1 X Screen
You can additionally purchase the Gold Element Board if you want to attach a CM3+ Lite instead of a Pi Zero W.
What is required to build this kit?
- One standard or gold kit
- Gameboy Pocket Shell, which can be found on eBay or AliExpress and you’ll also need to purchase a battery (we unfortunately cannot ship them ourselves due to local law).
- One 2000mAh battery or greater. We recommend this specific model.
- Hobby knife to trim the shell. Something like this.
- Flush cutter. This can really help trim plastic in hard to reach areas. Can be found here
A Dremmel will greatly speed up and aid in cutting the shell but it can be done without one with some patience so isn’t required but is optional.